Amazon has made it easier for users to cancel their subscriptions to its fast shipping club Prime with just two clicks, following complaints from consumer groups, the European Commission said on Friday. European Consumer Organisation (BEUC), the Norwegian Consumer Council and the Transatlantic Consumer Dialogue took their grievances to the EU executive in April last year. They said users had to go through numerous hurdles such as complicated navigation menus, skewed wording and confusing choices, to unsubscribe from Amazon Prime.
The company will now allow users to unsubscribe from Prime with two clicks via a prominent ‘cancel button’, the Commission announced. The changes will apply to Amazon websites for desktop devices, tablets, and mobiles in the European Union with immediate effect. “Consumers must be able to exercise their rights without any pressure from platforms. One thing is clear: manipulative design or ‘dark patterns’ must be banned,” Justice Commissioner Didier Reynders said.
Amazon said: “By design we make it clear and simple for customers to both sign up for or cancel their Prime membership. We continually listen to feedback and look for ways to improve the customer experience, as we are doing here following constructive dialogue with the European Commission.”
Whether you’re on iOS, Android, or a tablet, the cancellation process on the Amazon app is the same. Here’s how to do it:
- From the app home page, tap the menu icon (three lines) on the bottom right, and then Account.
- Scroll down the list of account settings until you find Manage Prime Membership. Tap on Manage membership under your profile name, then Update, Cancel and more.
- Tap End membership, scroll through the list of benefits, and tap Cancel My Benefits. If there are still days or weeks before your next renewal date, you can select the Remind Me Later option, continue using your Prime benefits, and cancel when Amazon notifies you three days before the membership renews.
The easiest way to cancel your Amazon Prime from a browser is to click the End Membership button within Amazon Help & Customer Service page. It will prompt you to sign in to your Amazon account if you haven’t already. Then, click Cancel My Benefits.
You can also follow the manual instructions below.
- To access, modify, and cancel your Amazon Prime, hover over the Accounts & Lists tab on the upper right of the home page, then click Prime Membership.
- There, you will see your Prime plan, renewal date, and management options. Click Manage Membership and then End Membership
- You will arrive on a page that shows you how many days of Prime benefits you have left before the next billing. Note that because you’ve already been charged for your current monthly or annual plan, it’s best to wait until the last day to cancel your membership for good. But if you’re ready to end it, click Cancel My Benefits.
Thanks for Reading!!