- The social audio app has launched a direct messaging feature called Backchannel.
- It is available in the iOS and Android versions of the app.
- You can also create new private or group messages by tapping the pen and paper icon in the corner.
Backchannel works a little like the way Instagram DMs work. If you follow each other, you can message the person and this will turn up in your ‘Chats’. If someone you do not follow messages you, this will turn up under ‘Requests’ and you have the option to accept or reject it.
When you click on the Backchannel icon, you can manually search for the person you want to message, you can also go over to their Clubhouse profile and click on the Backchannel icon on the bio and send them a text. The Backchannel icon on the bio will only be visible to you if the user has turned on messages for everyone or if they follow you.
Clubhouse said in a blog post:
“Backchannel has both 1:1 and group chat, and an optional second inbox for message requests. This means you can use it to discuss your rooms in real-time, send and receive questions from the audience, say thanks to someone, plan events.”
The functionality is designed to help moderators chat among themselves during an active room; let people connect after an event; and broadly, foster text conversations that otherwise would have to take place in a separate app. there are a lot of additional features that we’re working on, and they would be unveiled in the coming weeks.
Here’s how to send a text message in Clubhouse?
- Open Clubhouse.
- Tap the paper airplane icon in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Tap the pen and paper icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- Type the name of the person you want to chat to and select them. If you’re following their profile, they’ll appear. You can also add more than one name, forming a group chat of up to 15 people.
- Hit Done and the text chat will open.
Thanks for Reading!!