How to Remove Your Data from ChatGPT?
OpenAI ChatGPT AI Chatbot is gaining popularity due to its ability to enhance our workflows and generate human conversation-like responses within seconds. This chatbot can potentially create Essays, stories, Scripts, and Coding. You can even play games with ChatGPT. Since the tool’s launched recently, anyone can access this tool for free by creating a ChatGPT login. No doubt today ChatGPT is a topic of discussion over the Internet, but it has some privacy concerns that cannot be overlooked. If you are a Chatbot user, it is definitely worth getting the answer to some crucial questions, such as how does ChatGPT use your data, how to remove your data from ChatGPT, and more.
Since its launch in November 2022, ChatGPT has become a remarkable tool for all. This technology has rapidly become an integrated part of our lives. Some people are so impressed with the tool that they really want to buy Chat GPT Stock. However, just like other technologies, ChatGPT is not immune to Security concerns and vulnerabilities. Today in this guide, we are going to discuss in detail How to Remove your Data from ChatGPT in an all-inclusive manner. So keep reading the post till the end:
How does ChatGPT use your Chat History?
OpenAI admits that it is using some of the users’ data that include follow-up responses, images, prompts, and other generated responses to become more accurate and better at solving your problems. OpenAI claims that it does not utilize data for advertising or building shadow profiles.
ChatGPT’s data usage policy mentions that from the data it stores, first, it takes steps to remove Personal information before using the data.
Who can access your ChatGPT data?
ChatGPT admits that it may share the data outside the OpenAI however, it does not clarify with which partner it used to share its data. Since Microsoft is the largest stakeholder in OpenAI and uses GPT-4 to power its Bing chat service. Further, all of the OpenAI’s chats are executed through Microsoft’s Azure Cloud service. So, there is a great possibility that Microsoft is one of them.
The Company also admits that a limited number of authorized personnel can see and analyze user data. However, the data is only available to authorized Employees on the need to know basis.
Is your data safe with ChatGPT?
It is too early to say answer this query right now. It completely depends on whether you want to trust this Chatbot or not. However, it is important to remember that this Company has already suffered a security incident in March 2023. This incident exposes users’ chat histories to others. Later OpenAI CEO notified of this issue through Twitter and claimed to fix this bug soon. The Company also opened a bug bounty program with rewards of up to $20,000 for bug hunters.
Looking at the past history of the company, it is not a good idea to share your personal details in a chat with chatGPT. If you have already shared your private information with the chatbot, do not fret, as there is an option to delete your Account. Further, OpenAI added the option to clear your existing conversations and disable logging.
How to Remove Your Data from ChatGPT?
There are two ways to remove your data from ChatGPT- either deleting or deactivating your Account. If you choose to delete your ChatGPT account, then all the associated data will be deleted permanently and you never be able to recover your account in the future.
There are two ways to Delete your ChatGPT account. We are going to discuss both of them one by one:
Method 1>> Delete ChatGPT Account through Help Chat
- First of all, open the web browser of your device and visit the OpenAI website.
- Now, look for the Help button on the top right corner of the screen.
- Tap on “Send us a message”.
- After that select “Account Deletion” and follow the onscreen instructions carefully
- The above step will send a request to the OpenAI team. It will take around 1-2 weeks to complete the request. Once your account is deleted, you will get a confirmation message.
Method 2>> By using an Email
- First of all, open your Gmail account that is associated with your ChatGPT account.
- Now, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In the subject line, mention “Account deletion Request”
- Now compose the body section of the mail and send it. That’s it!
How to Deactivate Your ChatGPT Account?
There are two methods to deactivate the ChatGPT Account. These are:
Method 1>> Deactivate your ChatGPT Account through Help Chat
- First of all, open the OpenAI website and tap on the Help button at the top right corner.
- Now tap on “Send us a message”
- After that select “Account Deactivation”. Now fulfill all the on-screen instructions carefully.
- This step will send a request to the OpenAI team.
- Once the account is deactivated, you will get the confirmation.
Method 2>> By using an Email
You can even deactivate your ChatGPT account by sending a mail. The steps are:
- Open the Gmail account that is linked to your ChatGPt account. Now send an email to email@example.com from your email address.
- In the subject of your email type “Account Deactivation Request”.
- Create the body section of your email and send it.
How to stop ChatGPT from saving your Chat and data?
Due to privacy concerns among users, ChatGPT rolls out a new feature that allows users to delete their history after 30 days. When you turn off the Chat History, conversations on the platform cannot be used to train AI chatbot. However, all the conversations will remain for 30 days before being permanently deleted. Users can turn off Chat History by following the steps below:
- First of all, log into your ChatGPT account.
- Click on the three buttons next to their email.
- Tap on Settings. A new window will appear.
- Select History and Training Settings.
- Switch off the toggle labeled “Enable Chat History”.
Moreover, OpenAI also reveals that soon Businesses and Enterprises will be able to access a ChatGPT subscription package that will follow the platform’s API data usage policy. So their data cannot be used to train AI models in the future. The AI chatbot is also going to release an option that will allow users to export their chat histories. This will let users see what information it stores.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1: Is ChatGPT confidential?
No, ChatGPT is not Confidential. ChatGPT uses it to log every piece of information you share with it (Including Personal details) and uses it to train its AI model. Recently in April 2023, local Korean media reported that Samsung Employees leaked sensitive information to ChatGPT on at least three separate occasions.
Q2: How to delete your chats on ChatGPT?
ChatGPT also provides you a way to delete your chats so that it does not save your history in the first place. To delete your conversations from ChatGPT, follow the steps below:
- First of all, select the chat that you want to delete from the chat log.
- Finally, tap on the bin icon to delete it.
If you want to delete multiple chats from the conversation, the above-mentioned procedure could be tiring. In that case, follow the steps below:
- Click on the three dots icon next to your email address.
- From the menu of 4 options pick “Clear conversations”
- That’s it! Now, no chats will appear there.
Q3: What are the potential risks of using ChatGPT?
Accessing ChatGPT includes many Security concerns such as Unauthorized access to private information, Data breaches, inaccurate information, and more.
1) Data Breaches
Since no app of ChatGPT is available right now, you need to access this tool through web browsers. Accessing information through web browsers can lead to data breaches. The probability that an unauthorized party will get access to your personal, private, and sensitive information. OpenAI takes many security precautions to minimize the risk of data breaches, still, the system is not completely immune to technical vulnerabilities.
2) Unauthorized Access to Private Information
If any employee shares sensitive business information with ChatGPT, chances are that this data can be used to exploit the Company. Many big Companies such as Amazon and Walmart have already issued warnings to their Employees not to share confidential information with AI.
3) Incorrect Information
Since the tool is still in the initial stage of development, due to a lack of proper data, there is a higher possibility that it will generate false responses to some queries. To prevent the spread of misinformation, and biased content, users need to evaluate the content generated by ChatGPT. Besides this, there are 10 dangerous things about ChatGPT that you should beware of.
Q4: How to enable Incognito mode on ChatGPT to disable History?
Recently OpenAI brings a new feature that lets you use ChatGPT in incognito mode to disable chat history. To enable Incognito mode, follow the steps below:
- First of all open the tool and log into your Account.
- After that, click on the three dots menu next to your username.
- Tap on Settings.
- Click on Show next to Data Controls.
- Switch off the toggle next to “Chat History and Training”.
Q5: Can I copy ChatGPT responses to the clipboard?
Absolutely, ChatGPT lets you easily copy the content to the clipboard.
Well, that’s everything about ChatGPT data. This post is all about how can you remove your data from the ChatGPT account. OpenAI has taken significant steps to implement security measures. Now, it’s own up to users to take proper cautions to protect their privacy and private information while engaging with such AI Models. I hope you will find this post helpful and informative. In case of any queries, feel free to ask in the comments section below.
Thanks for reading!! Stay Connected for more latest updates
Versha Gupta is a tech freak and co-founder of techzimo.com, she spends more of her time searching latest innovations in the tech world. But being a tech freak, she has the same interest in the entertainment world, she watches all the latest web series on OTT platforms and reviews them on Techzimo. Know more about her on facebook