Slack is a well-liked office instant-messaging software. However that doesn’t imply it solely must be for work. You should use Slack for no matter you’d like — maintaining with buddies, sharing recipes, organizing actions, and so forth. Though Slack is essentially meant for group collaboration, it additionally has instruments should you simply need to chat one-on-one with individuals.
There are a few alternative ways you are able to do that:
- In the event you’ve not too long ago despatched a private message to somebody, you’ll discover their title within the sidebar to the left beneath “Direct messages.” Sort your message within the field on the backside and press enter / return to ship.
- If the title shouldn’t be within the sidebar, click on the + subsequent to “Direct messages.” Sort within the title of the particular person you need to ship a message to. As you sort, the particular person’s title will come up within the outcomes and you may click on on it. Then choose “Go.” Sort your message within the field on the backside and press enter / return to ship.
- In the event you’re on the redesigned version of Slack, you can begin a message by clicking the pencil icon within the prime left nook of the display subsequent to your workspace and username. Enter within the title of the particular person you need to ship a message to within the bar on the prime. Write the message within the field on the backside of the display and press enter or return to ship.
Slack additionally has a built-in calling function. On the free version, you are able to do voice and video calls, however solely with one different particular person. When you’ve got a subscription to considered one of Slack’s paid plans, you may as well do group calls with up to 15 people and share your display on a video name.
- Open up a direct message or a channel
- Within the top-right nook, click on on the cellphone icon
- Click on the digital camera icon to begin video. In the event you’re on a paid plan, you should use the desktop icon to share your display.
- So as to add individuals to the decision (should you’ve obtained a paid subscription, you’ll be able to add a couple of), click on the icon with an individual and a + within the prime left nook of the display. You’ll be able to both sort of their title, choose the particular person you need to add and click on “Invite,” or you’ll be able to click on “Copy hyperlink” on the backside of the window to get a hyperlink to affix the decision.
- By default, once you share your display, others on the decision can draw in your display. To change this function off, click on on the button with three pencils on the backside of the display. To attract by yourself display, click on on the pencil icon.
Vox Media has affiliate partnerships. These don’t affect editorial content material, although Vox Media might earn commissions for merchandise bought through affiliate hyperlinks. For extra info, see our ethics coverage.