- Uber will now let drivers and riders record audio during trips for safety.
- The Company is also releasing audible seat belt alerts and enhancing RideCheck.
- Both riders and drivers can record individual trips.
Uber has introduced an audio recording featuring as part of its pilot program in three cities of the US, namely, Kansas City, Louisville, and Raleigh-Durham, in order to enhance the safety quotient of drivers and passengers. Through this feature, the ride-hailing app aims to encourage safe and comfortable interactions while on a trip.
Uber says that the audio file is encrypted and stored on the rider and driver’s devices and cannot be accessed by anyone. Only if a safety report is filed to Uber, either user can attach the audio file from the trip. By default, no one can listen to the audio, including Uber,” the company said in its announcement.
How does the feature work?
- Once riders and drivers enable this feature, they can choose to record audio by tapping the shield icon on the map screen and selecting “Record Audio”.
- Riders and drivers can choose to record individual trips, and drivers will also have the option to leave the feature on while they are online.
- The audio file will be end-to-end encrypted and no one including Uber can access the file.
Now, Uber is extending RideCheck’s capabilities and the feature will be able to detect “when a trip takes an unexpected route or when a trip ends unexpectedly before the rider’s final destination,” per the company. A notification will pop up, both on the rider and the driver’s phones to ask if everything’s okay. From there, users can take multiple actions like calling 911, reporting the issue to Uber’s Safety Incident Reporting Line, sharing your trip presumably with a friend or dismissing the notification if everything is alright.
Along with this feature, Uber is also releasing an audible seat belt alert feature that will come from the driver’s phone, and the rider will receive a notification reminding them to put on their seat belt. Uber has been steadily releasing new safety features in response to both riders and drivers experiencing unsafe conditions during their trips, including allegations of sexual assault.
Thanks for Reading!!