- The picture-in-picture mode is limited to YouTube Premium iOS customers.
- The feature is experimental and will be available for a limited time.
- iOS 14/ iPadOS 14 is required to enable picture-in-picture mode for YouTube videos.
YouTube, the most popular video platform in order to provide its users with a better experience, has worked hard to bring new features on both Android and iOS. Google rolled out an “experimental” picture-in-picture feature for its iOS YouTube that allows premium subscribers to view video content while using other apps.
Youtube Officials said:
“Picture-in-Picture (PiP) allows users to watch YouTube videos in a small mini player while simultaneously browsing outside of the YouTube app on their mobile device. We’re starting to roll out PiP for YouTube Premium members on iOS and plan to launch PiP for all US iOS users as well”.
How to run YouTube videos in picture-in-picture mode on iOS?
The feature also doesn’t work with the YouTube app at this moment. This means that you need to rely on a Web browser such as Safari or Chrome to run your favorite YouTube videos in picture-in-picture.
- Open your Web browser and log in to YouTube with your account that is a part of the YouTube Premium subscription.
- Search for a video that you want to watch.
- Switch to the full-screen mode by tapping the square icon from the bottom right of the video.
- Tap on the video to view controls and then press the picture-in-picture button from the top left side — just next to the close button. Alternatively, you can double-tap on the screen with two fingers or simply swipe upwards from the bottom of your device to enable the picture-in-picture mode.
- Once enabled, picture-in-picture mode lets you move to and work on any other app you want to — while continuously playing a running YouTube video in a small window.
- You can exit the picture-in-picture mode by tapping its icon from the top-right side of the small window. It can also move back to the original view by double-tapping on the video using two fingers. Once done, you can close your YouTube video by tapping on the ‘x’ button.
Thanks for Reading!!