- Zoom announces a new ‘Focus’ mode feature for students.
- Teachers can see students, but students can’t see each other.
- This feature will be enabled for Windows 5.7.3 or higher and macOS 5.7.3 or higher.
As online classes have become more than necessary around the world due to the COVID-19 pandemic, audio and video calling apps are constantly adding new features and improving their services for a better experience. Earlier this year, Apple announced a Focus Mode with iOS 15 update that can be applied to all Apple devices at the same. Then, very recently, Microsoft announced Focus Sessions that it would be rolling out with Windows 11 update. Now, the popular video conferencing app Zoom has rolled out a feature on its platform called Focus mode.
Focus mode is designed with the digital learning environment in mind, allowing students to stay attentive or work on their tasks while under supervision, without being distracted by others and their tasks. This feature gives the host and co-hosts a view of all participants’ videos without other participants seeing each other. This extends into screen sharing, as the host and co-host can view and switch between each participant’s shared screen, while the participants can only view their own content.
The company said:
“Focus Mode allows educators to see their students’ videos, and students see their teachers without seeing other class participants. With this feature, teachers can supervise their class, but students won’t distract by their peers’ video feeds or feel self-conscious about turning on their own camera.”
To enable Focus mode for all users in the account:
- Sign in to the Zoom web portal as an admin with the privilege to edit account settings.
- In the navigation panel, click Account Management and then Account Settings.
- Click the Meeting tab.
- Under the Advanced option, click the Focus Mode toggle to enable or disable it.
- If a verification dialog displays, click Enable or Disable to verify the change.
- If you want to make this setting mandatory for all users in your account, click the lock icon, and then click Lock to confirm the setting.
Thanks for Reading!!