Using traditional fax machines was once a convenient way to send and receive a fax. However, technological innovations have made it easier to send and receive fax effortlessly via email. Unfortunately, this has caused traditional methods of fax transmission to be deemed complex and outdated, and reasonably so.
For starters, fax machines are expensive because they require numerous resources, including paper, toner, and ink, to operate. In addition, these resources need to be restocked often, which makes it even more costly.
Another disadvantage of using a fax machine is that it requires a fax landline to stay operational. The cost of maintaining a landline phone number is relatively high, especially when you consider the monthly fee. Overall, sending and receiving fax by email is more favorable. If you’d like to know how to send and receive fax to email, this article is for you. Stick around to learn more.
Understanding Faxing By Email
Faxing by email entails sending and receiving fax via your email account. It doesn’t require a fax machine or a fax landline, and you’ll no longer have to scan documents into the machine or dial out the recipient’s fax number. Conversely, you’re only required to formulate and send a message to the recipient via email. Then, the email is converted to fax format before it reaches the recipient.
How Does This Work?
You’ll need an online fax server when sending a fax to email, and so will the receiver. When you email your recipient, the fax server receives it and then converts it to fax format for your recipient to access it on their fax machine. Similarly, when receiving a fax, the server facilitates the conversion of the fax to email format before it reaches your inbox.
A user-friendly cloud-based fax platform is necessary when sending or receiving fax by email. When choosing an online fax server, you want a platform that doesn’t require advanced technical know-how. Additionally, compatibility with multiple email platforms—including Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, and Hotmail—is crucial to enjoying the fax to email benefits.
How To Send Fax By Email
The method for sending a fax by mail is similar to how you normally send your emails, with only a few tweaks. Below are the steps to follow when sending a fax by mail.
- Open your email and click on compose to create a new email.
- In the ‘To’ section, input the recipient’s fax number. Ensure the fax number is accompanied by the country and area codes, followed by your online fax software’s web address.
- For example, if you’re using MyFax, the fax number should be followed by @MyFax.com.
- It’s also worth noting that the fax number shouldn’t have any special characters or spaces.
- Include a subject line relevant to the content of the fax you’re sending.
- You may include text in the body of the email, but it’s not mandatory.
- Upload the documents you want to fax as attachments.
- You may send attachments in the form of JPEG for images, PDF, and DOCX, among other formats.
- Finally, click on ‘Send.’
- You’ll receive a confirmation email once the fax is delivered to the recipient.
- You may also check the status on your online fax software account by checking ‘Outbox’ or ‘Sent.’ If the email is in ‘Outbox,’ the fax has yet to be received. Meanwhile, if it’s in ‘Sent,’ the fax has been delivered.
How To Receive Fax By Email
Most online fax software allow you to access sent and received emails in your inbox. This is quite convenient, considering the hassle you’d experience when archiving paper documents manually if you were using a fax machine. Below are the steps to receiving fax via email.
- After creating an account with the online fax company of your choice, input your details and sign in.
- Next, go to the left menu and select ‘Profile.’
- Then, go to ‘Account’ and find ‘Notification.’
- In the ‘Email’ field, add the recipient’s email address.
- Once that’s done, you can access your faxes in email format in your inbox.
Please note that the steps of sending and receiving fax by email discussed above are standard. However, one or two of the steps may differ from one company to another.
Why Should You Send And Receive Fax By Email?
Numerous reasons exist regarding why using email to send and receive a fax is better than using a fax machine. These reasons are discussed below.
1.Fax To Email Is Cost-Effective
Using email to send and receive a fax is relatively cost-effective. You can save yourself from purchasing and maintaining a fax machine because you’ll no longer need one. The only expense you have is for the online fax software you use. Similarly, using online fax software means you don’t need to make monthly payments to maintain your fax landline.
2.No Location Restrictions
Secondly, fax to email allows you to send and receive fax no matter where you are in the world. This is unlike traditional fax transmission, where one had to have access to a fax machine. With online fax software, you no longer have to worry about your employees’ whereabouts or proximity to the office. Consequently, this flexibility can increase productivity and employee satisfaction.
3.It’s An Environmentally Friendly Option
The resources used for traditional paper transmission, including toner, ink, and paper, are unsustainable. For example, paper production is tied to deforestation. Conversely, going paperless through fax to email is more sustainable and promotes ecological safety.
The amounts of energy consumed during the production of ink and toner are enormous, contributing to the depletion of environmental resources. Nonetheless, fax to email reduces the need for these supplies and contributes significantly to environmental safety.
Summing It Up
Using traditional fax machines was once a convenient way to send and receive a fax. That was until technological innovations made it possible to send and receive fax via email. With fax to email technology, there’s no need for a fax machine or a fax landline. All that’s required is online fax software.
Sending and receiving fax by email is relatively easy too. The sending process is the same as the one you use when sending a regular email. The one thing worth noting is how you input the fax number in the ‘To’ field. Similarly, receiving fax via email is easy as you can access the emails from your inbox. You only need to ensure the recipient’s address is updated in the ‘Notification’ tab. Remember to invest in a user-friendly online fax service to enjoy the above benefits.