Zoom is an easy-to-use videoconferencing instrument with a beneficiant free tier. With folks all over the world isolating indoors to guard themselves towards the unfold of the coronavirus, it has by no means been extra in style.
However its reputation has additionally attracted trolls. The phenomenon of “Zoombombing,” wherein an uninvited visitor makes use of Zoom’s screen-sharing characteristic to broadcast porn and shock movies, has been on the rise. Most Zoom conferences have a public hyperlink that, if clicked, enable anybody to affix. Trolls have been amassing these hyperlinks and sharing them in personal discussion groups, after which signing on to different folks’s calls to trigger mischief.
There’s a straightforward method to cease this from occurring, however Zoom makes it needlessly tough to seek out. If you happen to schedule a gathering from the online interface, you received’t see the choice to disable display sharing. As a substitute:
- Click on on “Settings” within the left-hand menu
- Scroll all the way down to “Display sharing” and beneath “Who can share?” click on “Host Solely”
- Click on on “Save”
When you save your settings, future conferences that you just begin may have sharing disabled by default.
If you happen to neglect to vary the setting earlier than you begin your assembly, there’s a method to modify your settings after it begins:
- As soon as your Zoom assembly is working, click on the caret to the proper of the inexperienced “Share Display” button within the middle of the underside row of icons
- Click on “Superior Sharing Choices…”
- A dialog field will pop up permitting you to change display sharing availability from all individuals to the host solely.
And what when you’re creating a gathering out of your cellular system?
To disable display sharing after you’ve began your assembly:
- Faucet the Extra (…) button on the backside proper nook of the display
- Faucet “Assembly Settings”
- If you happen to’re utilizing an iPhone, scroll all the way down to “Permit Contributors to Share” and swap the toggle off. If you happen to’re utilizing an Android telephone, discover “Lock Share” and swap the toggle on.
Vox Media has affiliate partnerships. These don’t affect editorial content material, although Vox Media might earn commissions for merchandise bought through affiliate hyperlinks. For extra info, see our ethics coverage.