There is only one happiness in life – to love and to be loved, right? But you guys need to be a bit careful if you are looking for a suitable partner on various dating apps like Tinder, Bumble, OkCupid. Since many scams have been witnessed in the past few days. We are not saying you to avoid these apps completely but just be careful to avoid falling victim to romance scams. So here we are listing some of the most useful tips that will help you out.
Now the question arises that – “how to recognize an online dating scammer“. Just read out this post to the end and you will have all the answers.
Many few days have left for Valentine’s day. Valentine’s week is already on. But as love is increasing similarly, valentine’s day romantic scams are also on the peak on sites like Tinder, Bumble, OkCupid, and others. Actually what people are doing is – finding love on these sites but actually becoming prey to many cybercriminals and scams. Now you must be thinking that how it can happen? Actually, the whole scam starts with a quick online relationship and ends with an online financial crime.
For this scammers use to create a fake identity or profile and tried his/her best to befriend you. when he/she feels that you started trusting him/her then the scammer tries to ask for money by giving you several reasons or by making you an emotional fool. He/she will show you that he/she gets sabotaged in a financial crisis and needs urgent financial help from you.
How to recognize an online dating scammer?
Many cybersecurity firms have named these scammers death-eyed sharks. And surely they are like sharks. They constantly remain in search of an easy victim and as soon as they get a chance, they take full advantage of it.
So how to recognize an online dating scammer? Well, for this, you need to stay awake and aware while using such dating apps. Because not every person is right and not everyone is wrong. The only thing is – you need to be cautious. One of the easiest ways before falling into a serious relationship is to -notice everything while conversing with your mate on a dating app. If you find out that he/ she is asking for your personal information like bank balance, financial details, or money then it’s high time to think about this relationship and end this. Ensure that you fall into this trap, no matter how much you feel for that person.
What is a romance scam?
Many of us just want to know what are romance scams? So if reports of FBI have to be believed then, whenever a person with criminal instinct creates a fake identity in order to engage an innocent victim by winning his/her affection and trust and then with this illusion of fake love and relationship, does financial fraud with the person, then it is known as a romance scam.
You won’t believe that – Texas is reportedly to be one of the worst states for the crime with almost 8000+ romance scams that have fooled people by looting almost $66 million last year only.
The con-men or con-girls set up traps on romantic dating apps or social media. They are very fast in making a relationship with you. They will win your trust in a short span of time. The way they used to con people is so natural that in a blink of an eye, you will not understand what exactly happened to you. They will promise you to make a proposal or marriage but in reality, nothing will happen like that and once they cheat you, they will disappear like nowhere.
Keep your eyes open and ensure that If someone claims to need your bank account information in order to make a deposit, then definitely the intentions are not good and it will almost certainly involve theft and fraud.
Valentine’s Day Tips To Avoid Romance Scams
- Online romance fraudsters will do anything to get your attention and to win your trust like offering gifts like flowers, wine, chocolates, etc.
- If they are scammers, then directly or indirectly they will ask you a lot of personal information but won’t tell much about themselves. If anyone is giving his/her information as well, then don’t forget to cross-check.
- They will try their best to get out of the dating site or app quickly so that they can personally contact you via private message, email, or text. But keep one thing in mind that unless you are sure about a person in a relationship, never share your personal numbers, email, or social media information
- These online fraudsters may try to schedule a meeting with you, Once they schedule that, you will get instantly excited. But if they are fraud, that meeting will never happen as they will make an excuse at the last time. If this happens with you, then take this as a red flag for you.
- Moreover, you must not share any confidential information like bank details, earnings. The scammers may build up an emotional story but you should not fall into this trap and avoid any sort of online transaction with them. No matter how many times, you met with the person, still, don’t do any transaction or help financially as it could be a honey -trap for you.
FBI suggestions to recognize an online dating scammer
FBI says that-
- The users need to be extra cautious about what they post and make public online. These Scammers may keep an eye on you and may misuse the details shared by you on social media and dating sites so that they can know about your likings and dislikes and this all information helps them to target you.
- You should always make a detailed search on the person’s photo and profile using online searches to see if the image, name, or details have been used elsewhere.
- You should not be a slow-runner in a relationship. Don’t try to facts track anything and ask the maximum questions and doubts if you have any.
- Get a red flag whenever the person seems way much perfect and constantly ask you to leave a dating service or social media site to communicate directly.
- Moreover, if ever the person demands any inappropriate photos or financial information, then also take it very seriously. You need to sit up and rethink this relationship that you must not regret later on. As these photos are used to extort you.
- Also, if that person promises to meet you personally but always comes up with an excuse why he or she can’t even after planning several times in the past few days or months then this could be suspicious as well. You need to be careful here.
- The best thing is that you must not send any sort of financial help to anyone you have only communicated with online or by phone.
Final Words :
Hey folks, this is all about “how to recognize an online dating scammer”. I hope now if you have any sort of confusion about your relationship with your partner on a dating app, then you know what you have to do next and what things you need to keep a check on.
If you found the post informative then share it maximum with your near and dear ones.
Thanks for reading 🙂